Created in 1983, Option consommateurs is a non-profit association whose mission is to help consumers and defend their rights.
Over the years, Option consommateurs has developed expertise in the following areas
- financial services,
- protection of privacy,
- access to justice,
- commercial practices,
- personal finance,
Option consommateurs offers several services to help consumers directly.
More specifically, we offer :
- A legal information service that provides legal information to consumers experiencing a problem with a merchant.
- A budget consultation service to help consumers find the best way to balance your budget.
- A microcredit program called Prêt du Quartier
- Information and awareness activities
Option consommateurs represents consumers and asserts their rights:
- By sitting on various committees, round tables and boards of directors
- By alerting public opinion and intervening regularly in the media
- By writing briefs and participating in parliamentary commissions
- By engaging in collective actions
Option consommateurs is also…
An Internet site full of information to help consumers understand their rights and recourses as well as the issues that affect them.
Numerous research reports on current consumer issues,
Practical guides to help consumers be better equipped.
A bilingual Web magazine, OC Magazine, dealing with major consumer issues, mainly by reporting on research conducted in Canada.
A podcast, Les petits caractères, hosted by Pierre Craig, former host of La Facture. The podcast discusses consumer issues in clear, accessible language and with humour.
In order to carry out its mission and its various projects, Option consommateurs receives funding from various organizations such as
- Le Secrétariat à l’action communautaire autonome et aux initiatives sociales
- The Office of Consumer Affairs of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Le Secrétariat à la promotion et à la valorisation de la langue française
- Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
- Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux (Québec ami des ainés program)
- Développement international Desjardins
- L’Autorité des marchés financiers
- L’Office de la protection du consommateur
- La Chambre des notaires
- La Chambre de la sécurité financière
Option consommateurs also raises funds to finance its activities by establishing partnerships with other organizations, by organizing an annual fundraising event and by collecting donations.
Option consommateurs remains an independent association and is not at any time susceptible to be influenced by any organization that supports it financially. You can consult our partnership policy.